Monday, August 11, 2014

Preparation

I've just completed 11 weeks of life in a cabin where I spent life making a fool of myself by playing the nose whistle, dressing up like a grandma, and playing weird canoe games in order to evoke the laughs of little girls. Time alone was not a thing-I woke up to little girls scooting across the cabin in their sleeping bags, completely nude, aside from some sunglasses. I went to bed, after tucking in each girl, by crawling into my very own, dirt sprinkled, damp and sunscreen scented sheets.

I am back home now after an exhausting summer. My sheets smell like fresh linen, and the house is quiet. 

Access to internet was limited this summer, and my focus was so camp oriented, that it is just now hitting me that I leave for Brussels in five days. Count them, five. 1,2,3,4,5. Bye bye America.

I will be studying abroad in Brussels, Belgium August 16-Dec 14. I will be traveling with 20 other Furman students and a professor. I will be taking 'European Communication Policies' and 'Business and Media Ethics' courses at Vesalius, the local college. With Furman, we will take a European Women, War, and Resistance course. I have an internship with a German MEP (Member of the European Parliament). Let's just say I have a lot to learn. I will be speaking on his behalf and hopefully getting a chance to work with the Press Service in the EU.

I have taken my shopping trips to buy the essentials. Super cool mini travel toothpaste, Cold Eeze to please my father, some business-y looking clothes etc. Who knows what I'll actually need, but
as long as it all fits into my suitcase and duffel bag, I'll take it. How am I supposed to compress school books and shoes though?! Magic is going to have to happen to pack everything in for a 5 month adventure.

Bye Camp. Bye America.

No comments:

Post a Comment