Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Meant for the US of A

Sometimes I dream of the European life. So posh and attractive.

I don't think that dream is mine anymore. I belong in America.
I have been compiling, in my head, a list of things I miss. For you, I will put the pen to paper, or the words to the screen.

1. Mega stores: Walmart, Target, Kroger, Publix, TJ Maxx
Honestly, I won't be picky. I would appreciate a Walmart here.
I really shouldn't buy anything anyways (because honestly it makes me happier to spend my money on travels), but maybe having one of these stores would encourage me to buy a sponge, or paper towels, or dish soap when we run out. Otherwise, I'll just continue to use the same sponge I have been using for a month.

2. Real peanut butter: The peanut butter here tastes like straight ground up peanuts, maybe including the shells. Where is the fatty American Jif?

3. More than one refrigerator shelf: As much as I enjoy sharing a mini fridge with 3 other people, it would be lovely to be able to buy groceries for more than for a few days.

4. The Boda Clan: Come on over, fam. I miss you guys.

5. Alone time: My walk to work, where I listen to music out of only one ear bud (for safety purposes, obviously), is the greatest alone time. However, that's about all I get. A walk, and the time sitting in my office, but the apartment is a boppin place.

6. Ice: Just not a thing here.

7. Smiling and waving at people when I walk and run: Nosireebob, do not look into the eyes of the stranger walking by you on the sidewalk. I will probably come home an unfriendly soul because I am being trained to look down and frown a little. I'm not sure why, but I'm not taking any chances.

8. Bright lights: Watt? Really though, I could use some more of those.

9. Water bottles, plastic bags, and lunch boxes.

10. Real Deodorant: I don't want that nasty spray stuff. I need the real stuff. This girl has to walk to work and class.

11. A dryer: My clothes feel slightly damp and have that damp smell as well. I don't even know if I would be able to find dryer sheets to rub all over my clothes if I wanted to.

12. Sunshine: Maybe the sun just isn't as bright here. This is serious. It just feels darker, even on sunny days.

13. Fresh air: I shouldn't have to hold my breath every time I walk by a person. I am referring to cigarette smoke. Ew. I'm sorry, but that is tar coating your lungs. I don't want tar on my lungs too.

14. Bright colors: Mom, thanks for the bright orange rain coat and for approving of my brightly patterned umbrella, but I just don't fit in. I like it that way, but I wish for Europe's sake that I did fit in. Black and grey are so 'in' here. **Note: I am wearing all black right now. Black flats, dress pants, and shirt. I fit in today. I could also go to a funeral and fit in.

15. Cereal: I miss American cereal. Also, cereal is pretty expensive here, so I have avoided buying it much. I caved this week and bought these Honey O things and some boxed, unrefrigerated milk. And, let me tell you-best decision I have made in a while. Cold milk, some Honey O's, and a sliced banana on top. I was excited to wake up and eat cereal.

16. Furman professors: My professor at the university today walked in at about 1:10 for my 1:00 class and said, "I'll be back in an hour. I have a meeting, and I need to eat something." Good thing I booked it across town to get to class on time!

17. Pandora, Hulu, Amazon Prime. I don't like illegally convincing my computer that I am actually in America in order to use certain websites.

18. Barbeque, Cookout milkshakes, and Goldfish

Just keeping a list.
It's obvious that Atlanta and Greenville are home!

Here are some things I do especially enjoy, abroad.

Alphorns

Free cheese. Free costume museums.

Modeling Sessions in Amsterdam

Clogs: I have dreamed of these for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment