Thursday, November 13, 2014

According to the Movies

Do you know how accurate movies are? They are kind of like the internet; everything you learn on the internet is true. You know? Well, everything you see in movies is also true. Apparently.

According to my experience in this place I am living called Europe, Americans are "Friends," "Friday Night Lights," "Remember the Titans"...etc.

I love asking people what they think of Americans. I love it when Americans become one type of person, when I thought we are supposed to be one big old melting pot. I love it even more though, when assumptions are true.

To begin with, a few days ago, someone came into my office to ask me for chewing gum. I did not have any to give to her, so when she turned to leave, she laughed and said, "I just placed an American stereotype on you." She thought that because I was American I would have gum. I don't know what movie or tv show that came from, but I defied the stereotype for us. No worries. If I wasn't buying only the bare minimum at the grocery store though, I have to admit that I would probably have had the gum.

Then, yesterday I went to a meeting and during the lunch break I ate with an intern from Berlin and another from Argentina who has been living in Italy. It was a great lunch, and we had some good conversations. Of course I had to ask what they thought Americans were like when they started asking me if I did certain things or asked how I was adapting to the European life. They mentioned sororities, and I confessed association with a sorority of my own. They mentioned school lunch rooms in high school and middle school. They laughed at the thought of grouping together by 'clique.' I had to tell them that was a reality.

Then we laughed about the Italians and their concept of time. They don't do time. The Italian said that when things go right and on time, it's a bonus, but no one assumes things will go as planned. Everything will just happen whenever it happens. She also confirmed the crazy Italian driving stereotype, for her own town at least. She told us to NEVER RENT A CAR in her city; she said we wouldn't make it.

I've been asked if I was a cheerleader because of movies and probably my blonde hair. I know it may surprise you, but I am not a cheerleader, never was, and most likely never will be.

I fit the American mold, and despite my attempts to speak French and be one with this culture, I don't pass as European.

On another note, I get to travel to Germany this weekend to visit some distant family. I have never met them before, and I am very excited to take trains and buses and adventure my way into a new country. I am German, so maybe I can pass as German for a while. I just won't speak. That would give it away.

Now, here is a lovely picture.





No comments:

Post a Comment