Tuesday, November 25, 2014

My German Blood

Adventures to Germany, convincing people that I am German.

I sat on the train, embarrassingly clenching my jaw in silence as I stared at the guy checking my ticket. He rapidly spoke to me in German, and I didn't even know where to begin. I did the usual nod and smile, but apparently that was not appropriate for the situation. After a good 30 seconds of awkward, I said "sorry" and tilted my head down. I can't speak German, and I didn't even know how to tell him, other than in English.

After a lovely train ride, aside from my ignorance in the German language, I stepped off the train and began looking around for my family whom I had never met. Luckily for me, they were smiling and waving, holding a sign that said 'Welcome Katherine'. I smiled and went to them. I proceeded to say hello, and then again, had very few words left to speak. The little boys had learned the phrase 'My name is...'. That was really nice, but I unfortunately couldn't return the sentence in German. I'll know German for next time.

It was really unique getting to spend time with people when we had to work to communicate. I learned some German words and phrases with my Grandma's cousins' grandchildren. They were distant family, but family, nonetheless. The time I got to spend with them was certainly a highlight. There were three little girls, ages 6, 10, and 11. It took a little time for them to understand who I was and for them to warm up to me. After we made it past the first 30 minutes or so, and I had made enough jokes about myself and my inability to count to 10 in German, I was in. They quickly invited me to play games. I even got invited to one of the girl's English classes. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I think she was fascinated by me. Also, once I told her we were in the same family (mind you, this conversation is with someone who has only learned English for a year or so), they were willing to scoot closer to me and to laugh and play a little more openly. It was pretty cute.

We exchanged email addresses and are now pen pals in the most basic level of English. I'm all about that networking. I now have connections all over the world (with a 10 year old...).

All in all, the weekend was a great time. I ate German food. I was treated to afternoon cake and coffee time. I was entertained with afternoon 'programming,' which consisted of castles, churches, and family gatherings. I got to listen to some interesting perspectives on America. 
The Home

My secret bedroom

Office desk at the castle

Cake and Coffee. Erika and Erwin

Family introductions

No comments:

Post a Comment