Tuesday, November 4, 2014

On a Brighter Note: Dreaming of Italy

For Fall Break, we went to Italy.

I think I need to reference Maria and just list a few of my favorite things.

1. Friendly Italian families who make delicious meals. Giorgio and Susanna-shout out to you.
2. Running through the vineyards to catch the sunrise.
3. Painting the sunsets and getting so excited to capture the moments. The colors in the sky changed with every glance up from my paper.
4. Gelato. That's self explanatory.
5. Sailboats
6. Chasing dolphins on sailboats
7. Secret gardens hidden behind giant monastery doors
8. Markets

Fall break was a whirlwind of adventure, and I don't feel like it was real. I have convinced myself that was a once in a lifetime trip, but I would love to go back. Chianti, Italy was a dream, and I don't know that I can put its magnificence into words.

The hills glowed.  The sun beamed down across the valleys, and the vineyards rolled along. We drank wine from the land. According to our host, only 15 people lived in their town of Noce, and those very few houses scattered across the hills to accommodate, meant silence. What a beautiful sound.

The food was light years beyond my spaghetti and meat sauce. The olive oil, better than Canola.

Italians have a different sense of time, and I truly enjoyed it this week while in no rush to be anywhere. Each person we passed on the street looked up and smiled, passing along a 'Ciao' or 'Bonjourno.' I learned quickly, smiled, and said the same.

The Italy I experienced in Chianti this week seemed genuine and kind. Our host would look us in the eye, smile, and say 'Bella.' We were included in meals with Italian families, meeting sisters, mothers, boyfriends, daughters. We just became a part of the family!

It was a good week.
Cooking with Susanna and family

Italian living

The rolling hills of Tuscany

Another painting the sunsets pic

Vineyards

Sailing on the Ligurean Sea
Photo Credit: Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Woah! This seems like heaven on earth! Can't wait to see those paintings and hear stories of those adventures!!!

    ReplyDelete